explain the various influential factors of Schizophrenia (ie., biological and environmental research)
The purpose of this three-page essay is for students to explore and explain the various influential factors of Schizophrenia (ie., biological and environmental research), as well as describe an effective treatment. The end of the essay will conclude with a reflection section and faith perspective. (CLO 1, 2, 3, 4, 5). This Essay is worth up to 100 points.
A successful essay will address the following areas:
- Introduction (1 paragraph): Briefly introduce the reader to the topic, using citations when necessary. Outline what will be covered in the paper.
- Literature Review:
- Using at least two peer-reviewed studies (no websites), discuss what genetic factors have been identified in the development or maintenance of Schizophrenia. Summarize the studies, clearly stating the biological factors and how they influence Schizophrenia (ie., onset of psychotic symptoms, maintenance of the disorder).
- Using at least two peer-reviewed studies (no websites), discuss what environmental factors have been identified in the development or maintenance of Schizophrenia. Summarize the studies, clearly stating the non-genetic factors and how they influence Schizophrenia (ie., severity of the symptoms, onset of the symptoms, etc.).
- Using at least one peer-reviewed study (no websites), discuss one effective method to treat Schizophrenia (ie., medication, therapy, etc.). Be sure to summarize the study, explaining the treatment and how it is helpful (ie., reducing which symptoms, improving functioning, etc.).
- Reflection/Faith Integration (1-2 paragraphs):
- Given what you learned through the research on influential factors, has your understanding of Schizophrenia changed? Why or why not?
- Sometimes mental health providers need to distinguish between a person who is having a religious experience and someone who is delusional or in a psychotic episode. How would you make that distinction (ie., if someone reported talking to God, hearing his voice, etc., when might you be concerned about their grasp on reality)?
- Paper Requirements
- Paper must be three to four pages in length
- APA Formatted (Title page, No Abstract required, Reference Page)
- Subheaders are required (Introduction paragraph is not labeled; however, the remaining sections must be labeled).
- A minimum of five peer-reviewed sources (no websites) are required. The textbook can be used, but will not count towards one of the required five sources. Be sure to paraphrase the research in your own words and avoid using excessive direct quotes.